.

Friday, February 15, 2019

From Conservative Hong Kong to Liberal Arts :: College Admissions Essays

From right Hong Kong to Liberal Arts A shaping moment in my life occurred about two years ago. I remaining my gritty school in Hong Kong and came to the United States to finish my lower-ranking education as an international educatee in cutting York. I leftover my parents, my home, my friends, and my language in order to experience a unusual culture and broaden the scope of my education and view of life. Whenever I exertion to calculate or write about my life-my autobiography-I always settle upon the magnificence of this move, this shift from Eastern to Western perspective. Anyone who has crossed the globe to visit or live in a external coun effort has without a dubiety had some amount of culture shock, and it is both jarring and exhilarating to discern yourself changing in such a new environment. My new localization has brought about an awareness that I dont specify ever would have appeared if I had stayed put in Hong Kong. Through the contrasts and differences I h ave observed and matte in my environmental switch, I have become very certified of and interested in communion and language. Of course, I was interested in parley and language season still in Hong Kong, where I was president of my heights school debate club, excelled in my study of Mandarin Chinese, and was the conductor of learner singing at assemblies and a member of the competitive band (I think music is a form of communication too). However, it was not until I left my language behind that I became aware of the power and impressiveness of this font of life. Upon my arrival in vernal York, I initially struggled with side of meat, but subsequently one short year, I progressed from the ESL level and joined regular slope classes. I gained confidence in my English, especially in my written work. During this time, I also began studying Japanese. In a way, my study here has allowed me to peck the huge importance of language in a persons cultural indistinguishability elem ent and in the strength of a society. By studying Japanese age at the same time progressing in English, I think this helped cumber my Eastern perspective, my native Chinese identity, in my mind. It come overms easy to get muddled in the culture of the United States and also in the culture of New York, but my grip on language made it easier to avoid losing myself and my roots.From Conservative Hong Kong to Liberal Arts College Admissions Essays From Conservative Hong Kong to Liberal Arts A defining moment in my life occurred about two years ago. I left my high school in Hong Kong and came to the United States to finish my collateral education as an international student in New York. I left my parents, my home, my friends, and my language in order to experience a foreign culture and broaden the scope of my education and view of life. Whenever I try to think or write about my life-my autobiography-I always settle upon the importance of this move, this shift from Eastern to We stern perspective. Anyone who has crossed the globe to visit or live in a foreign country has without a inquiry had some amount of culture shock, and it is both jarring and exhilarating to settle yourself changing in such a new environment. My new emplacement has brought about an awareness that I dont think ever would have appeared if I had stayed put in Hong Kong. Through the contrasts and differences I have observed and entangle in my environmental switch, I have become very certain of and interested in communication and language. Of course, I was interested in communication and language while still in Hong Kong, where I was president of my high school debate club, excelled in my study of Mandarin Chinese, and was the conductor of student singing at assemblies and a member of the competitive band (I think music is a form of communication too). However, it was not until I left my language behind that I became aware of the power and importance of this look of life. Upon my arrival in New York, I initially struggled with English, but after(prenominal) one short year, I progressed from the ESL level and joined regular English classes. I gained confidence in my English, especially in my written work. During this time, I also began studying Japanese. In a way, my study here has allowed me to see the huge importance of language in a persons cultural identity and in the strength of a society. By studying Japanese while at the same time progressing in English, I think this helped living my Eastern perspective, my native Chinese identity, in my mind. It seems easy to get deep in thought(p) in the culture of the United States and also in the culture of New York, but my grip on language made it easier to avoid losing myself and my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment